Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Killed a Dragonfly Today
(alternate title: Sewing with my left foot)

I was just a few minutes ago ironing with my right ankle resting on the ironing board. You know, keeping it elevated.

It all began a few minutes after Mark got home from work and I was going into the back room to show him the note we’d gotten in the mail from my great Aunt Win and Uncle Dick. Apparently, I didn’t lift my right foot high enough as I stepped up into the room. Apparently, I was moving quite fast. Apparently, the poor dragonfly on my big toenail (painted lovingly by Andy a few weekends ago) got her wing torn off. I might have also lost some skin.

My first thought was “DARN IT!!!!!!!!”

Then I told Mark quite loudly that I needed a band-aid. Then I got quite nauseous and he had to get me a bowl in case I threw up. Then suddenly, I had to use the washroom in a bad way, but I was too dizzy to walk, so Mark had to kind of support me. It was upsetting enough to have half the skin removed from my big toe, but I started suddenly to worry about the strappy shoes I’m supposed to wear for my wedding in 24 days. Mark looked at my toe and said, “Oh, you might need stitches.” Note for future situations: Never say that.

Then I laid in bed for a long time and Mark got me water and stroked my hair and we contemplated going to the walk-in clinic, but we had to wait for the meatballs to finish cooking in the oven. And despite how much he teases me, I think it’s a very good thing I had the timer on. We decided to go to the walk-in. Then we decided not to. I examined the toe and declared, “I don’t think I can run with Jen tomorrow.” And Mark solemnly agreed, “I think you’re right.” Then we ate some meatballs.

He went to Shopper’s Drug mart and returned with hydrogen peroxide and special butterfly bandaids and polysporin (apparently the triple threat kind that heals stuff quickly). He told the pharmacist what had happened and he repeated her instructions about when to use what and when to “air it off”. She also said that if it’s my wedding, I can put on a fake toenail. I find little comfort in that right now.

Mark also bought me a special candy bar treat, which I gladly enjoyed despite the fact that I will likely not be running much in the near future.

And every time I walk past that step-up on the way to the back room, I scowl at it. I think it’s getting the picture.

Things I’m thankful for anyway:
1. That this didn’t happen on July 27th
2. That my trial cupcakes taste and look delicious and beautiful
3. That I did not sever my leg at the ankle
4. That I have a wonderful and loving fiancé

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...