Friday, July 06, 2007

Uber Geek….and PROUD!

The other day, I was visiting one of my very best and long-time friend in the small town of Goderich. This time, I brought my fiancĂ© along for the visit. Mark’s seen Hilary and I together, but perhaps he’d forgotten the dynamic or maybe he just found it intimidating how we revert to a strange land of contemplation beyond everyday happenstance. We’ve always been able to wonder aloud to each other about things that the general population probably never thinks of in their entire lives.

Anyway, it was on the way to the local flea market, when Mark and Hilary and I passed a strange metallic sculpture that was kind of shaped like a tree with pots at the end of its “branches”. The pots had been lovingly wrapped in aluminum foil. So we started to wonder about how that could possibly benefit the plant. And then we began to extrapolate our knowledge of radiant energy and heat to the usefulness of the metallic layer on space blankets. At a moment when I was feeling quite interested in the conversation Hilary and I were having, Mark piped up, “You guys are Uber Geeks.”

Last night, Mark and I and three other friends were over at our place hanging out, when another friend referred to a mutual acquaintance of ours also as an Uber Geek too. It seemed humourous and ironic to me when the comment escaped his mouth, but as much as I tried to explain it to him, he didn’t seem as amused as I was.

Some interesting statistics about the five grown adult people in the room last night:

Four out of five of us were engrossed in Settlers of Catan
Two of us can proudly solve the Rubik’s Cube
One of us was choosing to read The Walrus and Discover Magazines over playing the Nintendo Wii
Two of us went to see the new Transformers Movie on Opening Night (and LOVED it)
One of us likes to collect tapes more than CDs and knows a band called Mangina
One of us wants to camp out to buy the Harry Potter book on the first day it becomes available in stores

These are facts. Not judgments.
I love these people and the things mentioned above are part of what makes us fun and interesting in my humble uber-geek opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uber geeks ... all of you :)

Anonymous said...

amendment to previous comment:

uber geeks ... all of you ... including matty-o!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...