Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Cookie #7: Red Velvet Crinkles

 In case I was ever organized enough to keep a few cookies from each of my twelve batches and then display them on one platter at Christmas (we've already consumed all the reindeer - it's too late for them), I thought I'd better mix up the colour today. So I chose a Red Velvet Crinkle cookie to bake as my seventh batch.
 
I know the batter looks orange in the above picture, but it definitely looked red... until I added the cocoa powder (I may have just eye-balled a half cup and perhaps it was more like 3/4 of a cup....)
 
Red Velvet Crinkles
1/2 c. icing sugar in a bowl for tossing the cookie dough balls just before baking
1/2 c. salted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp red dye
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
 
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2.  Put 1/2 c. icing sugar in a bowl and set aside
3. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl.
4. Mix dry ingredients in another bowl. Add dry to wet ingredients.
5. Roll into balls and toss in icing sugar then plunk onto the cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

 
 
Do these look more chocolatey than red-velvet-y in the picture?
Oh yeah, they were.
But despite my misgivings about the lack of red-ness, they were really soft and chewy in the middle and when they cooked they sort of cracked apart like the pictures on the internet.
These ones really probably should be called Chocolate Crinkles.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...