Monday, October 29, 2007

Lessons from a New House

I am learning how to load a dishwasher. I am learning that pasta bowls don’t nest properly in the slots of a dishwasher. I am learning how to purchase and install replacement pot lights for a bathroom. I am learning how to program the thermostat. I am learning how to jiggle the garage door key just right so it opens. I am learning patience. I’m learning how to commute in rush-hour traffic. I’m learning how to spend two hours on the phone with tech support for an internet issue. I am learning how to pick a colour for my roof shingles. I am learning that a blind will keep heat in the house. I am learning that the one in our spare room is broken. And I am learning how to use a nail to temporarily fasten it in place until I can learn how to build a new one. I am learning that our neighbour starts his truck at 5:15am and goes to work. I’m learning that his wife leaves at 5:20. I am learning to live without the sound of the GO train every half hour. I am learning how a house is a work-in-progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the final lesson... is that it's never done!!
ALF

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...