Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Call me Mrs. Spontaneous


I received a Health Watch Newsletter in my mailbox at school the other day and was perusing its pages when I found an article about striking a healthy balance in life. What I found particularly ironic was the break-down of your day that they suggested. 60% of your day should be filled with things on your to-do list, 20% should be spent on something else that I can’t remember, and the last 20% should be spent on spontaneous things. Does this seem funny to anyone else? A prescribed fraction of the day dedicated to spontaneous acts? Those two ideas, dividing up the day into specific chunks and throwing oneself into unanticipated activities, seem strangely opposite to me.

I know that I find comfort in pre-planning an event, activity, well,….actually nearly everything. And this has been my strength, for the most part, during the wedding planning. But in August it all ends.


In August, I have given myself up to the spontaneous ME. This is the ME who knows that the consequences for not having everything pre-meditated and pre-dissected and pre-listified are not terrible or earth-shattering. This ME (the one that most of you haven’t met yet) is going on a honeymoon that she hasn’t yet planned. She’s left it all up to her beloved fiancĂ© and she’s totally cool with that. In fact, with 38 days left before the wedding, no destination has been determined nor a “sail away” date or a “sail home” date. The plan (and I use that term loosely) is to wait until the last minute and snatch up some fantastic bargain (and constantly fight away the OTHER ME who loves structure and predictable situations). We might sail a day after our wedding or we might sail halfway through August. Who cares! The sky is the limit. We will be Mr and Mrs Peron, enjoying our first month as legitimately matrimonial partners. We need no tickets. We need no itineraries. We need no lists (well, just a few with the basics). All we need is us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...