Friday, May 29, 2009

Radioactive Day 2:

I am at the point in my Low Iodine Diet where all food, no matter how potentially fresh or innocuous it may seem, makes my stomach churn. Home made bread and avacadoes sustained me for the first eleven days, but somehow my G.I. is revolting. Even apple juice, unsweetened and pure, is iffy. Water is still safe. Rice cakes continue to build up on the radiator. Apples are good and muffins are like Russian Roulette (okay 50% of the time).

I have been instructed to drink 4 Litres of water today. It took me til 2 p.m. to consume my first Litre. And I've been up since 5:50 a.m. Despite logic, my first night away form my baby in a long, long time, finally given the opportunity to sleep straight through, I had the worst rest possible. First the light from the hallway was blaring in the window of my door. So I Maguivered a curtain from a torn garbage bag and some tape scavenged from the paper-towel carpet in the bathroom. My pillow case had a plastic crinkly quality and when I peaked inside the cloth cover, it was indeed sheathed in a plastic cover with a black marker "R" scribbled on its surface; I suppose that stands for "Radioactive".

I was given a red capsule of Colase, which is a stool softener, despite my attempts to convince the nurse that I don't need it because I am "very regular". A little later, my nurse knocked on my window and waved at me and called, "HAVE YOU HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT TODAY???" I was strangely thrilled to report back to her, "TWO!!!!!!!!!"

I have also perfected my washroom technique. I use the toilet. Then, while thoroughly washing my hands, I balance skillfully on my left foot and flush the toilet two additional times with my right sandal.

I continue to watch my favourite t.v. channel: The Food Network. It is, strangely, both excruciatingly tantalizing and repulsive.

I am going to try Gravol-ing myself again tonight into sleepy oblivion. And, like last night, I'll watch home videos of my little Cole until I'm too tired to sit upright any longer.

2 comments:

katevp-a said...

wow.

this is crazy to read!

Melissa, you are amazing!!

Be well.

Kate

Anonymous said...

and now you're quilting and hopefully not having to separate your waste into so many containers, not to mention being allowed to flush with you hand!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...