Friday, July 27, 2007

Ice Cream Man from Newfoundland

We were waiting impatiently for the Cable guy to arrive all afternoon. Then, Mark noticed, on his way to Golf Town, that there was a cable van next parked two doors down. He figured it was a repair technician and asked if I’d maybe try to catch him on his way back out to his van.
So I lay in wait. Then I saw the man who lived two doors down come out to check something on his lawn. So I piped up, "Hi there. Is your cable down?"

He looked at me with surprise, "No. No, I don’t think so. What’s wrong with your cable?" I explained the problem. And he said, "Are you with Rogers?" I said, "Yes, I am." Then he added, "Let me double check." So he went inside and returned in a few minutes saying, "No. Our cable is working just fine." I was confused about why he had a Rogers Cable van parked in his driveway until he reached into his pocket and began to search through his cell phone saying, "I’m gonna give you a phone number. But it’s top secret, so you can’t tell anyone where you got it." I got a pen and paper, "Is this going to get me in trouble?" I asked. "No," he said, "but it could get ME in trouble."
He explained that this would get me straight to Rogers dispatch.
I tried the number, but the dispatch people re-routed my call back to the regular customer service mill.

Then I heard a knock on my door.
It was the friendly neighbour from Newfoundland. And he had a tub of Laura Second ice cream for us from he and his wife. He phoned dispatch himself and got us an appointment for tomorrow at noon.

Larry, Sheena, Maggie, Mark, Uncle Fred and I had dinner at the Twisted Fork in Oakville. The wine and the Rubik’s cube are what have kept me from twisting my own body into a pretzel.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...