Saturday, August 03, 2013

Dream Big

I was pushing my daughter on a swing in Thunder Bay.
The demographic of the area of Thunder Bay where we were staying is different than the demographic where we live at home. I was contemplating poverty, education and my daughter's future, when she said to me, "I'm a princess, Mommy."
I remember my friend telling me that we, as a society, comment too frequently in our little girls' appearances before other things (their intelligence, strength, athleticism, etc.). All these things were mulling around in my head when I said to her, "Yes, you can be a princess, if you want. You can be anything you want, my dear. You can be an astronaut, a lawyer, a doctor, a firefighter. You can do anything you want to. You're strong and determined. I can't wait to see what you do with those qualities."

She swung back and forth again and then she said, "I can burp AND cough!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...