Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The Sweetest Words Ever Spoken

There was a time, when I was younger and life was simpler, when I would have said that the sweetest words that could touch a girl's ears, coming from the lips of the man she loved, might be "I love you." Or perhaps, "Will you marry me, darling?"

But I am older now and wiser. Being a working mom has shaped me in ways I never imagined possible. And I realized today that there does exist a lovelier phrase. When a woman is juggling a career and motherhood, defending her vegetable garden from rodents, throwing baby showers, paying bills, maintaining social and emotional balance, when her to-do list is two pages long and sub-categorized by date, it is then that an exhausted heart can be brought back from the brink of despair by a loving husband who mutters this single phrase...

"...What do you need me to do?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...