Friday, September 18, 2009

Choose Your Own Adventure

I was walking to the mail box yesterday, to drop off a bundle of invitations for Cole's first birthday. I had promised myself that it would happen this week, and so I was determined that they would go out that day. I set out close to 10:30 in the morning, pushing Cole along in the stroller.

When we arrived at the plaza, I rounded a corner and saw none other than the Canada Post truck parked right there. My heart skipped a beat. I began to try to remember the pick-up time posted on the red postal box. I began to walk faster. The box was at least four stores away.

Then, suddenly, there was a man in a white shirt and dark shorts walking just in front of me. Was that the postman? Where had he come from? I couldn't remember him getting out of the truck. I began to walk faster. He was going to get to the mailbox before me at this pace. So I swallowed my pride and began to run.

My hands gripped the stroller and Cole's little feet rose with the sudden swoosh of speed that overcame us. I raced past the man in blue and white, and I kept running. Baby, stroller and I, we passed the last two stores and then we were suddenly in front of the red mail box, breathless and triumphant.

I looked back.
The man turned and went into the Mac's.
I glanced at the handle on the red mailbox.
Drop off Times: 13:00 and 17:00.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...