Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sorry Mr. Suzuki

I am trying very, very hard to remember to bring my reusable grocery bags to grocery stores and even, when I'm VERY with-it, to regular department stores. Today, however, my good intentions doubly punished Mother Earth.

I needed a tub of sour cream. So I slung a cloth bag over my shoulder and headed over to the Ultra mart.

I found the sour cream, proceeded to the check-out and then went into daydreaming mode and forgot to tell the young cashier that I had my own cloth bag. She had already put my sour cream tub (completely sealed up and non-contaminating, I might add) into a disposable plastic bag. Once I'd paid and she handed me the bag, I looked at it for a moment and then realized my mistake. "Actually," I proclaimed proudly, "I brought my own grocery bag today. So I don't need this one thanks."

I carefully took out the receipt and the product and put them in my cloth bag.

The girl shrugged as I gave her back her plastic bag. She balled it up with her hands and tossed it into a garbage.

1 comment:

Matthew Oldridge said...

Well different grocery stores are more advanced than others. Using your own cloth bags at Dominion self-serve checkout is a huge pain...

That is because the scales are SO sensitive, they must calibrate the scales to the weight of your cloth bag! Or it won't work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...