Saturday, May 24, 2008


Breaking News: Mariah Treats her Husband as an ASSISTANT!

When I read the headline on the front of the tabloid, I knew I was supposed to be both shocked and horrified. Obviously, being treated as an assistant is degrading. But is it?

I can’t help but think of the millions of ways I assist my husband and he assists me. We even do favours for each other that fall into the scope of the job profile of a professional assistant. Do I ever feel slighted? Does the press create an uprising? Isn’t this part of what married folks do? Isn’t this what families do for each other?

I am the chief editor of all written works produced by Mark since about 2005. I regularly do his groceries. He often plans my upcoming meals, creates a grocery list and organizes it by region of the grocery store. I do his taxes. He cuts my lawn. I do his laundry. He does my laundry. I buy cat food. He scoops the kitty litter. I make his breakfast fruit salad. He goes out to buy me ice cream…or chips…or cake…or subs. It feels really nice to be part of a team. It feels relieving to not have to do everything yourself. It is reassuring to be able to depend on someone and the skills and energy they bring to the relationship.

So, treat your husband as an assistant, Mariah. That’s what they’re there for.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...