Wednesday, May 23, 2007


Stepping with Mike

Today I went to my favourite aerobics class: BodyStep. I used to be a regular at BodyStep. Regulars have their specific spots. Mine is front and left. Betsy is front and centre and always wears black tights, a black tank top and black shoes. She did a half marathon last year for the first time. She must have missed me because she was kind of chatty today. Usually, regulars don’t have to chat to acknowledge each other. They’re just subtly comforted by the presence of the other regulars. There’s a bubbly blonde woman in the front and far-right corner who shouts loudly whenever the instructor calls, “How’s everybody doing today?” Bubbly blonde woman is quite a bit older, but I get the impression she doesn’t know that. Good for her! Botox lady is usually right beside me. She’s got enormous lips and I can’t help but wonder if she’s had some sort of injections to make them pouffy. Maybe she thinks it’s sexy, but she always looks like she’s just been stung by a bee.

Then there’s Mike. Mike stands out in part because he’s a man at a step class. He also stands out because he is a man at a step class who has very good rhythm. And I call him Mike in my head because he reminds me of Mark’s dad. He’s got a moustache and he’s about the right height and age and he seems like a very sweet man. Also, he might be a teensy bit bald on top. While everyone else at aerobics sports Nike and Lululemon gear, Mike always wears a navy blue and white golf shirt with a red horizontal strip across the chest and knee-length shorts. I admire Mike-from-step-class. He’s a regular and his regular spot is left and back, right behind me. I watch him in the mirror and let me tell you, Mike doesn’t miss a beat! Not ONLY does he get every chassé , cha cha and box-step, but that man does the extras. If the instructor asks for jazz hands, Mike gives her jazz hands. If the instructor says if you’re feeling comfortable, throw in a pivot turn, Mike does a pivot turn. Mike even does sassy hips just for fun sometimes.


It’s nice, I guess. Not only do I get some exercise at BodyStep – I meet with old friends and spend some time with my virtual-father-in-law-to-be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude...I'm totally jealous. Remember all the fun we had a BodyStep and BodyAttack? What do you mean you don't have your homework done, Danny? Upper Cut, Upper Cut, Jab!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...