Friday, July 27, 2007


Two Days before the day we were married

I lost my mind.

Mary and Ben and I went for a short run in some intense heat and humidity. Then I felt fairly calm until people began arriving. My mom phoned to say she was lost because she’d gotten off the QEW thinking that the Queensway was the QEW and she didn’t know where she was. When I figured out where she was using googlemaps, I tried to phone her back but her cell phone was off.

Mark’s dad needed directions to the hotel, so I drew him a map, but I put Mavis on the wrong side of the golf course than it actually is, so he got fairly lost in transit.

The apartment began filling with friends and girlfriends of friends and family. Joyous exchanges and exclamations filled the air. But I very quickly lost track of who had already been introduced to who, so I gave up.

I found myself scrambling for time right before having to leave for the Rehearsal (we showed up about 20 minutes early in the end despite having hit some intense construction). We finally loaded up the cars and were off to Braeben.

I found the rehearsal very difficult. Despite the fact that Ben was coordinating the events and doing an excellent job and everyone was listening well, I was incredibly nervous and I felt self-conscious about being overly bossy or telling people what to do. A million things came up that I hadn’t though of and when I got to the front of the aisle with my dad, the musician was only done playing one line of the song. We’ve been instructed to walk slower.

And I was on the verge of tears all night. Walking up the aisle became very emotional for me, especially when the music was playing. I tried to give a toast, but got choked up after, "Thank you everyone for coming...."

However, the food was great. Everyone made friends with everyone else. Abby was a rambunctious delight and loved her Strawberry Shortcake doll.

Mary, Ben, Amanda, Marlo and I retreated to Delia’s house for a movie (Little Miss Sunshine) and some poolside late night lounging and we slept soundly whilst the boys were drinking, peeing in each others’ drinks, and sitting with naked asses on each others’ faces.

I hope the wedding day will be easier than today was.


Noteworthy People:
Two days before the day we were married, Maryann was the reason I am still upright. I forgot to eat lunch and then the hunger struck me suddenly when I had no time to make anything and all I needed was a sandwich. Despite us not having any bread, Mary made me a most delicious grilled cheese sandwich which I didn't even notice was made of a hamburger bun! What a girl.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...