Friday, December 06, 2013

Cookie #3: Carolyn's Ginger "Snaps" & Cookie #4: Fauxclairs

 These are the reindeer cookies mentioned a few days ago before they went into the oven.
 
 
Ginger "Snaps" are a misnomer. They were chewy heaven with a sweet crackly crust.
My friend Carolyn gave me this recipe.
I used the same dough for the Ginger "Snaps" and the Fauxclairs.
 
Carolyn's Ginger "Snaps"
3/4 c. shortening or lard
1 egg
2 c. flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. white sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
 
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Cream shortening. Add sugar. Beat in eggs and molasses.
Prepare dry ingredients in another bowl.
Add dry stuff to wet stuff.
Roll into balls.
Roll balls in some white sugar (not included in the quantities above).
Cook for 10 minutes.
 
How to Make Fauxclairs
I also took some of the above-mentioned dough and rolled the balls into logs.
 I mentally named this step turds-on-a-cookie-sheet.
 

 I cooked them for 10 minutes and let them cool completely.
Then I made a double-boiler and melted eight semi-sweet chocolate squares.
That didn't look like it was going to be enough, so I dumped in a whole bunch  more semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Using a teaspoon, I smeared the tops of the cookies with melted chocolate. This was supposed to make them look like éclairs, hence the name Fauxclairs.


A special thanks to Carolyn for sharing her recipe with me and letting me share it with the whole world!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...