Monday, September 17, 2012

Little Sister

Cole has mixed feelings about his little sister.

For a half hour before supper time yesterday, he was outside alone with his Daddy. And he was extremely well-behaved as he played in the sandbox. Deeply concentrating, he carefully and systematically moved all of the sand from one half of the sandbox to the other using a small yellow shovel - a task requiring no shortage of patience and determination. After his project was finally complete he looked up at his father and let out a reflective sigh and said, "It's so nice to play without Amelia knocking over my sand pile."

After supper the kids had a soapy, sudsy bath together. In fact, they had so much fun lathering themselves up to resemble Santa Claus that they didn't even play with any bath toys.

After the bath, Amelia was in bed and Cole was lying on our bed as Mark and I chatted. We were musing to ourselves about how life has gotten so much easier that it would be hard to imagine having a third child. Half jokingly, Mark said to Cole, "You wouldn't want another sister, right Cole?"

Cole shrugged, "Yes. I would like another sister," he stated matter-of-factly, "because I love my sister so much!"

Mark turned around to give us his full attention. He looked at me inquisitively, "Did he just say he loves his sister?"

I nodded.

"If you had another little sister, Cole, what would we name her?" I asked, playing along.

"Amelia," he replied, "I would like to have two Amelias."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...