Friday, June 19, 2009

Controversy

Having a kid is the most controversial thing I've ever done! Not DECIDING to have a kid. THAT is not even questioned. It is just assumed you will want kids. Everyone begins asking you WHEN you're going to have one or a dozen from the moment you get engaged (or turn 30). But doing what's best for your baby, a thing that one might assume is instinctive and fairly universal, is not so simple.

For instance, how to help a baby sleep. You'd think that babies just do. That they don't need help. Well, some don't. But most do. Do you rock them or drive them or wear them? Do you do it until they're asleep, dozy or just calm? Or do you let them cry it out? Do you let them sleep with you? And do you do these things for one month? Three months? Six months? Or until the kid says it's time to call it quits?

No matter what you choose, you're doing it wrong! Either you're spoiling them, emotionally stunting them, making them insecure adults or fostering terrible irreversible sleep associations that will breed atrocious toddlers. It's petrifying!

I used to be an I-can't-let-my-baby-cry-it-out kind of a mom. It's terrible to cry yourself to sleep, I would say. But somehow, I'm reaching the end of my night-time-wakings limit. And a bit of "controlled crying" is starting to have its allure. I got a few books from friends and from the library and now I am scared INTO committing to this sleep training thing because apparently the "window" for doing this is small and if I don't do it soon, I'll end up with an unruly toddler who'll REFUSE to go to bed. I certainly don't want that. But how do you commit to a program that's difficult and may not work on your particular baby?

Let's face it, parenting is a big game of Russian Roulette.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...