Wednesday, August 01, 2007


Unsung Wedding Moments

Everyone saw the hallmark good moments of our wedding: The reading that almost made Mark and I cry, The first kiss as husband and wife, The first dance, etc. Not to take away from those incredibly poignant moments, but there were so many other little moments that made last Saturday special to me. And a lot of these moments were witnessed by a lot fewer people.

Here are some of them:

My bridesmaids and I were dressed and ready nearly an hour too soon. So we sat around playing cards (the game “31” actually) at my kitchen table in our gowns to try to stay calm.

My bridesmaids were obviously still hungry after three pizzas had been cooked and consumed, so my brother-in-law, Ben, offered to run to the store and get us another one. I gave him my debit card, but he tried to refuse. I insisted, but suspected he would take it but not use it, so I was quite stern and don’t-mess-with-me-like when I said that he was instructed that he MUST use the card. When he returned with the pizza, he had asked the cashier to write on the receipt “paid for with Melissa’s debit card”.

Riding around on a golf cart after the ceremony with Mark and Maryann and Matt Peron. All the golfers waved at us as if we were celebrities.

Sydney and Alison were entranced with my veil, so I gave it to them to share. Alison then helped herself to some of my mashed potatoes when my head was turned, and a piece of bread from my plate. She ran her hands all over my dress (including the bust area) and asked if she could have it when she was bigger. Then she and Sydney danced with Mark and Jim in the middle of the dance floor. When the girls asked to switch partners, Mark and Jim (knowing full well what the girls had meant) said, “Sure”, then proceeded to dance with each other while the girls watched in wonder.

Mark and Chillly rapped Ice Ice Baby.

Mark and Chilly did a little routine to Thriller.

Chilly and my mother having WAY too much fun dancing together.

Jay and Mom doing the twist.

Rob with his tie on his head.

Jim did “The Worm” even though his chin suffered a bit and he suspects he’s getting “too old” for this.

My father and Carmen (in conjunction with Jay and Michelle) were our “escape” vehicle at the end of the night.

Melanie and Hilary had put in our honeymoon suite, a bottle of champagne, two champagne flutes, some chocolates, biscuits, and two candles for our romantic tendancies.

Oh, and of course, there was Uncle Fred – the dancing MACHINE! Who can forget that!

2 comments:

Ben said...

I loved your wedding day! Did you guys get your photos already... cuz this one's really nice! -Mary

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
You guys look perfect. I'm sure it was an incredible day! All the best.

Janice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...