Monday, July 09, 2007

Things You Can Do In The Bathroom

(This blog could also be titled: Sharing a Small Space)

My mother and her partner, Stan, are off on a bus tour to PEI this morning. They spent the night last night so they could get a very early drop-off at the Swiss Chalet on Hurontario and near the 403. My little brother, who I am proud to say is now a working man, spent the night too. The idea was that HE has found himself with a job in a northerly part of Mississauga (a situation which would make having a car a whole lot easier). So this week he gets to use my mom's car while she is away. The catch is that HE was charged with the task of driving Stan and she to their drop-off point at 5:40 a.m.

So, there was Mark and I in the bedroom. There were a few folks in our back room, which is attached to our room by an enormous window. And there was a brother, who was set up on the couch but who needed more room to spread out, so he moved to the floor.

We set an alarm clock in the back room for 5:05. And we set a back-up alarm clock on my cell phone for 5:15.

However, at 4 o'clock or so, someone got up and went to the bathroom. I could see the light under the door. The power of suggestion overcame me, and I suddenly was struck with the urge to use the bathroom too.
So I waited.
And I waited.
And I might have dozed some more.
And I figured when I came to, a half hour later, that maybe someone had just forgotten to turn off the light in the bathroom. It was awfully quiet. I didn't hear any of the sounds that bathroom-goers usually make.
I got up and knocked lightly on the door.

My mother threw open the door, smiling and energetic. The room was a bit steamy - I thought maybe she was having a bath. Her make-up was on.
I said sleepily, "I have to pee."
And she gave me a little pre-view of a twisty-dance move and said, "I was doing my morning exercises."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...