Wednesday, February 14, 2007


Valentine’s Day

There was this one Valentine’s Day that I remember, and it was so perfect because everyone says February should have a holiday, and I woke up to the sound of the phone ringing at 6 am, and it was a fellow teacher telling me that the schools were closed due to a snow storm. So Mark and I slept in that year on Valentine’s Day. And we were planning a trip to Vegas, so our gifts to each other were more modest than in the past. I gave him a cribbage board (although my mom had already made a comment in front of him that she and I had spent a long time shopping for a cribbage board, so he did suspect) and some chai tea and he gave me a little zen garden with real grass seed and mini gravel and stuff. And we ate Tim Horton’s sandwiches and muffins for breakfast and then we bundled all up in our winter gear and went out to shovel the driveway. The snow blew back in our faces as we shoveled, but it reminded me of being outside with my family on wintry days. I cooked dinner for Mark that year on Valentine’s Day. I made pork tenderloin with this special Lingonberry and Mushroom sauce that my Uncle Kevin gave me the recipe for, but I left out the lingonberries because I don’t know what those are. And I bought dried cranberries to put in instead, but then worried ‘cause they were sweetened and I thought that might mess up the recipe, so I left them out too. And Mark said it was the best meal I’ve ever made him. And he wanted to lick the plate, he said, but he refrained. We played a lot of Wii tennis and Mark hit one of our pictures with his knuckle, but the wiimote wasn’t broken and neither was his knuckle and neither was the picture, so we really lucked out. And he bought dessert at a local bakery, but it was black forest cake and he doesn’t like black forest cake, but when he bought it, he thought it was just chocolate cake. And we went out and shoveled the driveway a second time and it was even more fun than the first time.
That was the last Valentine’s day before we got married.
Sigh.

Those were the days.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...