Monday, November 19, 2012

The Technicalities of Being Nice

This year I am the most excited about the pre-Christmas preparations than any other year that I can remember. And it is entirely because of my son. This year, more than any year in his short life, he gets Christmas. He is excited to look at Christmas lights, to see Santa at the mall (or flying in in a helicopter to the parking lot at the mall), to assemble a gingerbread house, to buy presents and, of course, to contemplate the gifts he will receive.  And this year, more than ever before, he understands about the parental promise that you'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, you'd better not pout... Santa Claus is coming to town!

And last week, without intending anything malicious, in a moment of frustration, I made a veiled threat to him about being put on the naughty list instead of the nice list. And that was it. Since then, he's been pure gold. He does what he's told the FIRST time I ask. He's helpful. And he points out when his sister is doing something that is going to land her on the naughty list. He points out repeatedly that he himself is being SO GOOD! As a mom with a conscience, I almost feel guilty..... almost.

Admittedly, I've been mentioning the naughty and nice lists all week. And today, at supper time, Cole looked at me inquisitively and said, "Mommy, I'm being SO good."

"Yup, you're being such a good listener."

"And I'm such a good listener.....so... how many presents you think I'm getting now?"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...