So I finally finished putting up my fencing. I used 2x2 inch stakes from Home Depot, plastic chicken "wire" and zippy ties.
Then, just as I was about to start planting, I noticed this poor forlorn tulip that was being ambushed by poppies (far left), so I transplanted it to the middle of my non-existent asparagus patch.
This year, I decided to try something a little different when sowing my seeds. Usually, I dig a trough and throw seeds in, then cover it up. Then I go to plant my next row and I'm not quite sure where the row I just planted is. So I have to err on the safe side and leave more space than necessary.
Inspired by square-foot-gardening principles, I laid out string so I can see exactly where one crop ends and the next begins (notice, I'm still not going to the trouble of labelling anything). When the plants sprout, I'll move the string to another area of the garden.
I planted peas on one side of the trellis (in a few weeks I'll plant on the other side). I planted half my lettuce, half my spinach and all of my onions. I was going to do carrots, but then I was interrupted.