Sunday, April 29, 2007

Moms just know

My good friend, Hilary, came to my bridal shower on Saturday with her seven month old son, Jacob. She came in from the car looking like she’d just been traveling with a seven month old baby who kept projectile-puking and who wouldn’t eat when she’d planned on him eating. She was handling it gracefully, as always, but her arms looked tired. So I said to her, “Would you like me to take Jacob?” She, of course, said she was okay. So I wanted to respect her space despite the fact that I sensed she could have used a break.

Not even three seconds later, my mother breezes over to us, takes one knowing glance at Hilary and says quite matter-of-factly, “I’m taking your baby!” She gently took Jacob from a relieved-looking Hilary and began making baby noises and gently bouncing back and forth from hip to hip in a very skillful way.

Moms can get away with doing stuff like that because moms just KNOW.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...